- 1½ cups penne pasta
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ C. whole milk
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1½ tsp. lemon juice
- ⅓ grated Parmesan Cheese
- ⅓ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling water for 6 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until just tender (about 3-5 more minutes). Drain and return to the pot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, mustard, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan on medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly browned (stirring constantly) about 1 minute. Pour in the milk mixture and whisk. Continue stirring as you bring to a simmer. Cook until thick, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Stir this sauce into the pasta and cook over medium-high heat. Cook until sauce is thick and creamy. Mix grated Parmesan cheese into the pasta.
- Top with remaining shredded Parmesan cheese as a topping. ENJOY!